THE DYNAMIC EARTH: A BLOG ABOUT GEOLOGY AND THE EARTH SCIENCES

Sunday, June 7, 2009

More Damn Tafoni!

Michael has put up yet more Tafoni pictures, obviously still stinging from my earlier usurpation of the whole tafoni pictures thing. As such, I shall respond with yet more images of these artsy weathering pits in sandstones! The picture below is from the Ordovician St. Peters Sandstone, in Governor Dodge State Park, Wisconsin, where I was on a little camping jaunt earlier in the week.


Anyway, you might notice that Michael's pictures from the Santa Cruz Mtns are much better than my picture above; this is undoubtedly due to the fact that 1) His Rocks Are Better Than These Scrappy Ord. Ss from Humid Wisconsin; and 2) He Is A Better Photographer Than I Am. Both of these are rather unfair advantages, frankly, and Michael should be ashamed of himself for exploiting them so mercilessly like that.

1 comment:

Michael said...

Just got back from my US trip and catching up on the blogosphere, only to find myself stung, usurped and ashamed! In fact, none of the above - I think it's great that an obscure geological phenomenon should achieve such prominence this year. And the tafoni equality principle bestows equal rights on all manifestations.

For really dramatic pictures (including the tafoni of Mars) and a comprehensive discussion, see http://tafoni.com/Welcome.html.

And anyone willing to take up the cause of the humble gnammas?

Michael